Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 1 Camper!!


Feeling pretty uptight and tense. The guy who rented us the camper, Paolo, was driving me crazy. After all of his hand signal lessons and persnickety instruction, he had the gall to tell Gabri that I didn’t drive well during the test because I didn’t stop at the stops. Ma vafanculo! I have a good hand signal for him! I think he thinks he’s really German. He even told us to keep an eye on Miles so he doesn’t draw all over the camper. I’ve never seen an Italian like him!
Gabri’s mom was about to push me over the edge too. She’s been following me around for two days now making sure that I’ve packed everything, that I know how to cook what Miles likes and where we’re at with the laundry cycle. Interjecting all the time too with comments about how undomfortable the camper will be. I should have told her that we could have stayed with them for 2 ½ months instead. That would have stopped her dead in her tracks.
Anyway, I need to chill out and be super happy because we’re off with the camper!! Yahoo! I LOVE it! Miles loves it too. It’s so well organized. I’m totally geeking out on all the compartments and gadgets. We bought 10 liters of Puglia’s finest rose’, Rosato, 5 liters of olive oil, cacciocavallo, friselle, puccette, mozzarella, oregano, fresh orecchiete and finoccio – all special local products. Ooh, and last night at dinner we lucked out and got to buy a bottle of homemade bay leaf liquor!!! Another super special local treat. Yum, yum and yum.
And we have loads of freedom!
Been driving 2 hours. Just passed Bari, still in Puglia. I love this landscape. Big craggy olive trees, red earth, white stones and bright blue sky. It’s so beautiful. This is my favorite landscape. The sea here is so beautiful too. It’s really clean and crystal clear. The ground under the olive trees is covered in bright yellow flowers and poppies. Every now and then you see big clumps of fichi d’india cactus plants and vineyards that stretch as far as you can see. Mmm… Getting hungry… and thirsty,,, can the camper drive itself? It almost seems so.

No comments:

Post a Comment